Tax Relief on Home Care

If you are arranging care for yourself or a loved one you maybe eligble for tax relief.

You can claim tax relief on the cost of employing a carer either if you employ one for yourself or for another family member. A family member is a spouse, civil partner, child or a relative, including a relation by marriage or civil partnership.

 You can claim tax relief (at your highest rate) on the lower of the following two amounts: The actual cost incurred or the maximum deduction of €50,000.

 If you are a PAYE taxpayer, you can apply for tax relief for employing a carer on form HK 1 or telephone 1890 306706.This is applied to your weekly or monthly Tax credits. You can download the HK1 form here


Hourly Rate


Rate after 41% tax relief












"This was my first job in care and I was nervous about the responsibility it involved before I started, but Right at Home gave me such good training and my Registered Manager is always at the end of the phone if I need help or advice, or just a bit of reassurance. I've recently also finished my NVQ and had specialist training in dementia, which has really helped me to understand my clients' needs."